2007: Doctorate PhD (social science; area: social pedagogy)
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb, Department of Pedagogy, Croatia, Central Europe
1999: Master of science (area: behaviour disorders)
Faculty of Education and Rehabilitation Sciences,
Department of Behaviour Disorders, University of Zagreb, Croatia
1996:Graduate Diploma (teacher of primary education)
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb, Department of Pedagogical Science, Croatia
RELEVANT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Expert in quantitative methodology in social science (ie. SPSS, statistics, SAS).
• Lecturer in diverse courses - undergraduate, graduate and doctoral studies at the University of Zagreb.
• Supervisor of a dozen masters and doctoral research students.
• Reviewer of several international scientific journals
• Oft-invited speaker at international scientific conferences.
• Regularly writes for university and school textbooks and has written for the University Development Fund.
Reviewer or member of editorial team:
• International Journal of Cognitive Research in Science, Engineering and Education (IJCRSEE)
• American Journal of Educational Research (http://www.sciepub.com/journal/education/EditorialBoard)
• Journal of Modern Education Review (ISSN: 2155-7993); Academic Star Publishing Company, USA; http://www.academicstar.us
• The Holistic Approach to Environment Journal- (http://www.cpo.hr)
• Croatian Journal of Education (http://ed.ufzg.hr/ojs/index.php/CJOE)
• Acta Ladertina Journal (http://www.unizd.hr)
• President of 3rd WORLD CONFERENCE on DESIGN, ARTS AND EDUCATION- DAE, 2 and 3 May, 2014, Dubrovnik, Croatia (http://www.artsedu.org/)
• 5th International Conference on Advanced and Systematic Research; School, Education and Learning for the Future, Zagreb (Croatia), 10-12.11.2011.
• 4th International Conference on Advanced and Systematic Research; 11th Days of Mate Demarin; Expectations, Achievements and Prospects in Theory and Practice of Early and Primary Education, Zagreb (Croatia), 11 to 13 October, 2010
• Sub-Regional Conference of the Countries from South East Europe: Quality Education For All Through Improving Teacher Training, Sofia, Bulgaria, 22 to 24 April, 2010- invited lecture (UNESCO)
Lectures at scientific conferences:
• 14th 'Days of Mate Demarin'; Contemporary Challenges to educational Theory and Practice, Topusko (Croatia), 29-30.5.2014.
• 20th ‘Days of Psychiatrists’ Society of Nurses; Branding and Scientific Research in Nursing, Brijuni (Croatia), 28-31.5.2014.
• The 1st International Conference ‘Research and Education Challenges towards the Future (ICRAE)’, Shkoder, 24-25 May 2013, organized by the Faculty of Education Sciences, University of Shkodra „ Luigj Gurakuqi”, Albania
• OMEP. European Regional Meeting and Conference 2013; Play and playing in early childhood
May 8 to 11, 2013. Zagreb, Croatia (http://www.omepuk.org.uk)
• International Symposium; Education between Tradition and Modernity, Ohrid (Macedonia), 22 to24 September, 2011, Institute of Pedagogy, University ‘ss. cyril and methodius’ – Skopje; Faculty of Philosophy – Skopje, Macedonia
• Modern Methodological Aspects, Novi Sad, (Serbia), 23 to 24 September, 2010.
• 12 International Conference on Inclusive Education in the Balkan Countries: Policy and Practice, Ohrid (Macedonia), 25 to 27 June, 2009.
• 3th International Conference on Advanced and Systematic Research; Curriculums of Early and Compulsory Education, Zadar (Croatia), 12 to 14 November, 2009.
• 2th International Conference on Advanced and Systematic Research; Zadar (Croatia), 13 to 15 November, 2008.
• 1th International Conference on Advanced and Systematic Research; Zadar (Croatia), 25 to 27 October, 2007.
• International, Scientific Symposium, 65 Years Jubilee Institute and Modernity, Ohrid (Macedonia), 22 to 24 November, 2011.
Published scientific articles in the past five years:
(other published articles http://bib.irb.hr/lista-radova?autor=231642)
• Kovačević, T., Opić, S. (2014). Contribution of Traditional Games to the Quality of Students’ Relations and Frequency of Students' Association in Primary Education. Croatian Journal of Education, 16 (Sp.Ed. No.1), pp. 95-112.
• Kovačević, T., Opić, S. (2013). Traditional Games and Pupils’ Violent Behaviour in Elementary Education. In Aneta Barakoska (Ed.), Education between Tradition and Modernity (pp.74-80), Skopje : Faculty of Philosophy, Institute of Pedagogy. (ISBN: 978-608-238-011-7).
• Opić, S. (2013). Using Factor Analysis in Pedagogy. In Aneta Barakoska (Ed.), Education between Tradition and Modernity (pp.74-80), Skopje (Macedonia): Faculty of philosophy, Institute of Pedagogy (ISBN: 978-608-238-012-4).
• Perišin, D., Opić, S. (2013). Connection Between Exposure to Internet Content and Violent Behavior Among Students. In Bushati, Josef (Ed.), Challenges toward the Future ICRAE (E book). Shkoder: Faculty of Education Science.
• Bilić, V. Opić, S. (2013). Adolescent Gambling: the Role of Sex, some Family and School Factors. Školski Vjesnik, 62,4, pp.455-478.
• Đuranović, M., Opić, S. (2013), Social Aggresion Among Students in Primary. Croatian Journal of Education, 15,3, pp.777-799.
• Lokmić, M., Opić, S., Bilić, V. (2013). Violence against teachers- Rule or exception?. (IJCRSEE International Journal of Cognitive Research in science, engineering and education), 1(2)
• Bilić, V., Opić, S. (2012). Differences in perception of social injustice and neo- liberalism in education between students of state and private universities. In Cynthia McDermott, J.; Alison, Kington; Maria, Matulčikova (Eds.), Paradigms and research of educational practice (pp 285-305). Los Angeles: Department of Education, Antioch University Los Angeles.
• Opić, S., Galešev, V. (2012). Specifics of Applying Regression Analysis in Educational (Pedagogical) Research. In Maja Ljubetić; Smiljana Zrilić (Eds.), Culture as a field of pedagogical action: education, upbringing, curriculum (pp. 183-192), Zagreb: Croatian pedagogical society (ISBN: 978-953-99167-6-1).
• Bilić, V., Opić, S. (2012). Some Correlates of Students' Internet Use. In Neven Hrvatić; Anita Klapan (Eds.), pedagogy and culture; theoretical and methodological definition of pedagogical science (pp. 89-99), Zagreb: Croatian pedagogical society.
• Opić, S. (2012). Some Doubts about the Use of Factor Analysis in the Field of Research Education (Pedagogy). Školski vjesnik: časopis za pedagoška i školska pitanja (0037-654X) 61, 4, pp. 481-496.
• Opić, S. (2011). Distribution normality testing in the studies of education and upbringing. Školski vjesnik: časopis za pedagoška i školska pitanja, 60, 2, pp.181-198.
• Opić, S. Kudek-Mirošević, J. (2011). Treatment of Students with ADHD Syndrome in Regular Elementary Schools. Napredak, 152,1, pp.75-92.
• Opić, S. (2011). Differences and specificity in the use of some post hoc tests in the analysis of variance (ANOVA). In Anka Jurčević-Lozančić; Siniša Opić (Eds.), School, Education and Learning for the Future (pp. 37-46), Zagreb: Faculty of Teacher Education.
• Golner, T., Opić, S. (2011). Some pedagogic aspects of absenteeism of the primary school students). In Anka Jurčević-Lozančić; Siniša Opić (Eds.), School, Education and Learning for the Future (pp. 117-126), Zagreb: Faculty of Teacher Education.
• Opić, S., Kudek-Mirošević, J. (2011). Treatment of Students with ADHD Syndrome in Regular Elementary Schools. Napredak, 152, 1, pp.75-92.
Published scientific articles cont.
• Kudek-Mirošević, J., Opić, S. (2010). Behaviours typical of ADHD. Odgojne znanosti 12,1, pp. 167-184.
• Opić, S. (2010). The Curriculum of Modern Education- in Favor of School without Violence. In Annamaria Bene (Ed.), Modern Methodological Aspects (E book) Subotica: University of Novi Sad, Hungarian Language Teacher Training Faculty (ISBN: 978-86-87095-08-3).
• Opić, S. (2010). Didactic peculiarities of alternative concepts of education in support of preventing behavioural disorders. In Rossitsa Penkova; Violeta Mircheva; Nikolina Tsvetkova (Eds.), Quality Education For All Through Improving Teacher Training (pp. 32-42). Sofia, Bulgaria: UNESCO, Sofia University St Kliment Ohridski, Department of Information and In-service Training of Teachers (ISBN: 978-954-326-120-8).
• Opić, S. (2010). Using Non-Parametric Tests in Education Research. In Anka Jurčević Lozančić (Ed.), Expectations, Achievements and Prospects in Theory and Practice of Early and Primary Education (pp. 307-318), Zagreb: Faculty of Teacher Education.
• Opić, S. (2010). A Possible Program for the Development of Social Competence of Pupils in Primary Education. Pedagogijska istraživanja, 7, 2, pp. 219-230.
Reading, playing the piano, travelling, fishing, football and playing cards.
PROFESSIONAL AND RESEARCH OBJECTIVE:
Use my expertise in managing student behaviours, research methodology (statistics, quantitative methodology and didactics in social science) to:
• Secure a university teaching position
• Undertake post-doctoral research
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE:
Full-time associate professor April 2009 –today
Faculty of Teacher Education, University of Zagreb, Department of Education
Croatia, Central Europe
Lecture in several courses at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
o quantitative and qualitative methodology,
o research methodology (social science),
o behaviour disorders
Mentor many students at masters and doctoral level.
Undertake guest lectureships throughout Croatia including:
1. Faculty of Science (PMF), University of Zagreb
graduate study; subjects: methodology in education research
from 2012- until today
2. Academy of Fine Arts, University of Zagreb
graduate study; subjects: didactic
from 2012- until today)
3. Academy of Music, University of Zagreb
undergraduate study; subject: didactic from 2013- cont.
4. Faculty of Teacher Education in Gospić; University of Rijeka, Croatia
graduate study; subjects: methodology in social science;
5. Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Zagreb
Undergraduate study; subjects; statistics in pedagogy research
from 2009- today
6. Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Osijek
Doctoral study; subject; statistics in pedagogy research