Dr. Jelena Šesnić Jukićeva 32
10000 Zagreb, Croatia
PhD in Philology, University of Zagreb, 2005; MA (Philology), Univ. of Zagreb, 2001; BA (English, Comparative Lit.), Univ. of Zagreb, 1997
Full Professor, Department of English, Univ. of Zagreb March 2019-
Chair, American Studies Program, Dept. of English, U of Zagreb October 2018-
Associate Professor, Dept. of English, U of Zagreb July 2012- March 2019
Head, Dept. of English, U of Zagreb Oct. 2011-Oct. 2013
Assistant Professor, Dept. of English, U of Zagreb Dec. 2006-July 2012
American Studies Department, Universität Wien, Austria 18-22 June 2018
JFK library research grant, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany March 2014
ESF Young Researchers Forum, National Univ. of Ireland, Maynooth 9-12 June 2011
Workshop “The Futures of American Studies”, Dartmouth College, USA June 2008
JFK library research grant, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany September 2007
EAAS Research Grant, J. G. Universität Mainz, Germany October 2005
Fulbright Pre-Doctoral Research Fellow, University of Virginia, USA Aug. 2002-Aug. 2003
Fulbright Summer Seminar, University of Louisville, USA June-July 2001
JKF library research grant, Freie Universität Berlin, Germany February 2001
A Cultural History of Capitalism: Britain, America, Croatia (Team Member) 2014-2018
A Cultural Mapping of the USA in Regional American Studies (TM) 2013-
Cultures of Croatian Transition and Anglophone Globalization (TM) 2008-2012
Conceptualizing the Sea and Its Place in the US Cultural Imaginary (TM) 2006-2010
National Ideologemes in Modern Croatian and Irish Literature (TM) 2002-2006
Relations of Croatian and Anglophone Literatures in the 20th Century (TM) 1998-2001
Undergraduate courses: Aspects of American Romanticism; American Lit. 1865-1914; The American Nineteenth-Century Novel; The American Bildungsroman of the 19th and 20th c.; American Nineteenth-Century Women Writers
Graduate courses: Paradigms of American Studies 2; History and Memory in the Contemporary American Novel; Croatian American Ethnic Literature; U.S. Ethnic Literatures; Images of American Politics in Literature and Visual Media
Postgraduate (PhD) courses: Ethnicity, Nation and Globalization; American Women Writers and the Capitalist Modernity; Croatian-American Writing; History and Memory in the Contemporary American Novel; Images of American Politics in Literature and Visual Media
CEEPUS exchange program, U of Graz, Austria Oct. 2016; Oct. 2017; Oct. 2018
CEEPUS exchange program, U of Novi Sad, Serbia April 2013; April 2018
Erasmus exchange program, U of Graz, Austria Fall 2009/10
- Šesnić, Jelena. Mračne žene. Prikazi ženstva u američkoj književnosti (1820-1860). Zagreb: Leykam International, 2010. (Dark Ladis: Figures of Femininity in American Lit., 1820-60)
---. From Shadow to Presence: Representations of Ethnicity in Contemporary American Literature. Amsterdam, New York : Rodopi, 2007.
- Šesnić, Jelena and Sven Cvek, ed. The (Un)usable Pasts in American Studies. Working Papers in American Studies, Vol. 3. Zagreb: HUAmS, 2018.
- Šesnić, Jelena et al., ed. The Errant Labor of the Humanities: Festschrift Presented to Stipe Grgas. Zagreb: FF press, 2017.
- Šesnić, Jelena and Sven Cvek, ed. Working Papers in American Studies. Vol. II. Quarter of a Century after the Fall of the Berlin Wall: Perspectives and Directions in Croatian and Regional American Studies. Zagreb: Hrvatsko udruženje za američke studije, 2016. On-line: http://www.huams.hr/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/wpas_v2_huams_2016.pdf ISSN 1849-6180
- Šesnić, Jelena and Sven Cvek, ed. Working Papers in American Studies. Vol. I. Cross-cultural Readings of the United States. Zagreb: Hrvatsko udruženje za američke studije, 2014. On-line: http://www.huams.hr/wpas
- Šesnić, Jelena, ed. Siting America / Sighting Modernity: Essays in Honor of Sonja Bašić. Zagreb: FF Press, 2010.
Book chapters (most recent)
- “The Irish and the Croats in the Great Migration: A Comparative Perspective.” Migrations: Literary and Linguistic Aspects. Ed. Ivo Fabijanić, Lidija Štrmelj, Vesna Ukić Košta, and Monika Bregović. Berlin: Peter Lang, 2019. 41-59. DOI: 10.3726/b15418
- “Margaret Fuller: A Romantic ‘New Woman’ Poised Between Text and Life.” Neglected American Women Writers of the Long Nineteenth Century. Ed. Verena Laschinger and Sirpa Salenius. New York and London: Routledge, 2019. 101-115.
- “Images of America from the Austro-Hungarian Periphery. The Example of Croatian Travel Narratives of the United States.” Postimperiale Narrative im zentraleuropäischen Raum. Hrsg. Marijan Bobinac, Johanna Chovanec, Wolfgang Müller-Funk, Jelena Spreicer. Tübingen: Francke, 2018. 123-42.
- “Louis Adamič i invencija 'novoga useljenika': primjer ranoga multikulturalizma.” Dijasporijski i nacionalno manjinski identiteti: migracije, kultura, granice, države. Ur. Marina Perić Kaselj i Filip Škiljan. Zagreb: Institut za migracije i narodnosti, 2018. 187-214.
- “F. O. Matthiessen, C. L. R. James and a Sense of the Past of American Studies.” The Errant Labor of the Humanities: Festschrift Presented to Stipe Grgas. Ed. Sven Cvek, Borislav Knežević and Jelena Šesnić. Zagreb: FF press, 2017. 215-33.
- “The Croatian Diaspora as an Unfinished Transdisciplinary Project.” English Studies from Archives to Prospects. Vol. 1. Literature and Cultural Studies. Eds. Stipe Grgas, Tihana Klepač and Martina Domines-Veliki. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2016. 118-33.
- “Asian American Transnational Literature and United States American Cold War History.” Discourses of Emancipation and the Boundaries of Freedom. Selected papers from the 22nd AISNA biennial international conference. Ed. Leonardo Buonomo and Elisabetta Vezzosi. Trieste: Edizioni Università di Trieste, 2015. 253-60.
- “Franz Kafka, Paul Auster and the End of the American Century.” Facing the Crises: Anglophone Literature in the Postmodern World. Ed. Ljubica Matek and Jasna Poljak Rehlicki. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2014. 49-69.
- “Croatian American Literature as a Transculturated Discourse.” East Central Europe in Exile. Volume 2: Transatlantic Identities. Ed. Anna Mazurkiewicz. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2013. 13-29.
- “Contemporary Croatian Film and the New Social Economy.” Growing Up Transnational: Identity and Kinship in a Global Era. Eds. May Friedman and Silvia Schultermandl. Toronto: Toronto UP, 2011. 103-18.
- “Doing American Studies in Croatia: What Have We Done, Where Do We Go from Here?” Siting America/Sighting Modernity: Essays in Honor of Sonja Bašić. Ed. Jelena Šesnić. Zagreb: FF Press, 2010. 239-55.
Journal articles (most recent)
- “Geopolitical Imaginaries: Croatian Diasporic Writers in North America.” Twentieth-Century Literature, vol. 65, no. 1, March 2019, pp. 71-96. DOI 10.1215/0041462X-7378817
- “ ‘Uncanny Domesticity’ in Contemporary American Fiction: The Case of Jhumpa Lahiri.” Kultura Popularna vol. 4, no. 54, 2017, pp. 94-105. On-line: https://kulturapopularna-
- “A Diasporic American Mirror for Late Socialist and Early Democratic Croatia.” Šesnić, Jelena and Sven Cvek, eds. Working Papers in American Studies. Vol. II. Quarter of a Century after the Fall of the Berlin Wall: Perspectives and Directions in Croatian and Regional American Studies. Zagreb: Hrvatsko udruženje za američke studije, 2016. 44-67. Online: http://www.huams.hr/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/wpas_v2_huams_2016.pdf
- “Bogdan Raditsa, the 1970s, and the Question of Croatian Emigration.” Šesnić, Jelena and Sven Cvek, eds. Working Papers in American Studies. Vol. I. Cross-cultural Readings of the United States. Zagreb: Hrvatsko udruženje za američke studije, 2014. 115-30. Online: http://www.huams.hr/wpas
- “Situating H.D. Thoreau's Walden within Post-Exceptionalist American Studies. Exceptionalism Reconsidered.” Borderlands: Journal of Anglo-American Studies, vol. 2, 2013, 27-43.
2018 Co-organizer; CAAS Int’l American Studies Workshop: Representations of Age and Ageing in American Culture, Univ. of Zadar 15-16 June 2018
2018- President, CAAS (Croatian Assoc. for American Studies)
2016- Vice-president, AASSEE (Assoc. for American Studies in South-Eastern Europe)
2016 Co-organizer; CAAS Zagreb International American Studies Workshop: The (Un)usable Pasts in American Studies 14 May 2016
2015 Co-organizer; CAAS Zagreb Int’l American Studies Workshop: Quarter of a Century after the Fall of the Berlin Wall: Directions and Perspectives in Croatian and Regional American Studies 3 October 2015
2014 Co-organizer; CAAS Zagreb Int’l American Studies Workshop: Cross-Cultural Readings of the United States 24 May 2014
2013 Co-organizer; CAAS Zagreb Int’l American Studies Workshop: Applying Teaching Innovation in the American Studies Curriculum 6 April 2013
2010- Co-founder and secretary, CAAS
Oskar Halecki Polish-American Historical Association 2014 Award (see Publications: East Central Europe in Exile; author-contributor)
Link to complete bibliography at CROSBI: https://bib.irb.hr/lista-radova?autor=236460